Thursday, January 30, 2014

Philly: The City of Conventions


Hey are you interested in flowers? How about cars? Now wait, what about tattoos? How about all of them (like me!)? It's that time of year in Philadelphia that brings out the crazies for all kinds of conventions. The Pennsylvania Convention Center is buzzing with all kinds of folk - from the Grandmas at the Flower Show to the gear heads at the Auto Show you can find just about anyone wondering around the Convention Center...as well as Reading Terminal Market which now becomes a nightmare on Saturday afternoons!

This is really my favorite time of year to live in Philly, once a month from January to March I have at least one event to go to! This has been a few years running now and each year I still go back for more. If you're in the Philly area this winter be sure to check out what's coming up!


Up first is the Tattoo Arts Convention this coming weekend Jan. 31st - Feb 2nd, I've gone to this for the past few years with friends that were dead set on getting tattooed...I just watched. I have tattoos but I haven't been able to pull the trigger on my next one. I usually go to check out the artists, pick up cards if I think maybe they could tattoo me in the future, and most importantly people watch! There are usually tattoo industry celebrities to meet as well. 

Every year the Philadelphia International Auto Show is a must see. I've been going to the NYC or Phila Auto Show for as long as I can remember (I have to thank my car obsessed Dad & Brother for that one!). This year it runs from Feb 8th - Feb 16th. I usually go each year with a specific car in mind that I'm dying to see. Last year I wanted to see if any of the Prius models had been updated since I drive a baby blue Prius C that I'm absolutely in love with. I even got the surprise of seeing the new VW Beetle with a soft top convertible! I want!

Every year the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society puts on the Phila. Flower Show, this year it's March 1st - March 9th. Each year is a different theme -inspired by the flora and fauna of places like Hawaii or the UK! The flower displays are out of this world and you can't even begin to imagine the work that went into creating these masterpieces. I think my favorite part of this show is shopping the vendors, they have everything from cut flowers and succulents to outdoor furniture and handmade vases. 


Now these are just some of the conventions going on this Winter/early Spring, be sure to check out the Convention Center website to see what else is going on! A few weeks ago N and I walked by a line for the Convention Center that was at least 5 blocks long. We were looking at the people trying to figure out what they were there for but we had no clue. I did some investigative work and figured out they were all there to audition for The Voice! That just goes to show how many different, awesome things are going on at the Convention Center. 




No comments:

Post a Comment